Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneC
- Campus FoodD
- Student LifeC+
Virginia Military Institute is ...
NCAA Division I-AA
Big South Conference
Virginia Military Institute Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.16 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.14 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.14 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Civil Engineering56Graduates
- International Relations and National Security Studies50Graduates
- Foreign Languages and Literatures21Graduates
- Mechanical Engineering19Graduates
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering13Graduates
- Computational and Applied Mathematics12Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
Data not available
- of students say they don't have Greek life.18 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.22 responses
After Virginia Military Institute
- Very Good41
Good experience for some. Definitely not for all
- College Senior
- 2 months ago
Honestly, you always hear about how hard VMI is, and how miserable life their is.It's true in one sense it is hard and it does suck, but if you remember that you chose this life then its an awesome experience. It shows students that you can go far beyond "normal" limits that society places on people, and gives you a drive to succeed. I would not have chosen to go anywhere else if given the opportunity.
- College Sophomore
- 5 months ago
It is a challenging and grueling experience as we, cadets, are pushed far beyond our limits. We have learned to manage time so well that without it, we would be failing or be close to failing. Appreciation for almost everything in life such as, food, free time, physical activity, and much more has been realized by many of us here. The brotherhood spirit that is formed during the initial portion of the college, called the "Ratline", is eternal and unforgettable. I sometimes regret coming here, but only because of how difficult it can be. However, in overall, I love it here.
- College Sophomore
- 6 months ago