Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneB
- Campus FoodA
- Student LifeB+
Occidental College is ...
NCAA Division III (with football)
Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.27 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.31 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.31 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Political Science and Government43Graduates
- International Relations and National Security Studies36Graduates
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science29Graduates
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology21Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 13 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.32 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.38 responses
After Occidental College
- Very Good152
Professors are awesome. Small class sizes (10:1 student to faculty ratio, average class size of 19) and very accessible professors. No TA's teaching classes! Classes are discussion-based, rather than lecture halls. Workload is tough but manageable. Plenty of room for extracurricular activities. The most popular majors are Economics, Diplomacy & World Affairs, Biology, Sociology, and Art History. Professors hold office hours and students are welcome to make appointments or just show up to chat, which professors are always open to and excited about.
- College Junior
- Dec 5 2014
Oxy is a small school and only has two dinning facilities. The Market Place (which is the main dinning hall) can sometimes be repetitive but generally has a variety of good, healthy options. One thing the Market Place always does well is weekend brunch. The Cooler is generally has less healthy foods ( Like Hamburgers and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches) and there menu generally stays the same (The Market Place changes everyday). The Market Place closes at 7:30 but the Cooler stays open until around 11 on weekdays. Another option is the Coffee Cart which has delicious sandwiches and mac and cheese. The Coffee Cart opens when the Market Place closes. For Coffee on campus there is the Green Bean which is great! They have great original drinks as well as classic coffee.
- College Sophomore
- July 27 2014
It kind of depends which dorm you're in! Everything's pretty livable, and the best option is Rangeview. As a freshman, you don't get a preference for where you live, as there are several freshman only dorms. There are several forced triples and not having the space kinda sucks, but you also know it gets much better sophomore and junior year, and living off campus junior/senior year is pretty affordable and the surrounding neighborhood is nice.
- College Freshman
- Mar 6 2015