Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneB
- Campus FoodA
- Student LifeB+
Occidental College is ...
NCAA Division III (with football)
Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.27 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.31 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.31 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Political Science and Government43Graduates
- International Relations and National Security Studies36Graduates
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science29Graduates
- Biochemistry and Molecular Biology21Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 13 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.32 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.38 responses
After Occidental College
- Very Good152
There are a fair amount of good points for Oxy, most of which you'd have already heard or seen in other reviews repeatedly. I can't deny most of them. But then again, the disadvantages have stood out more to me over the past two years. Small and tight-knit is good, but not when it's small and cliquey, with people rarely leaving the vicinity of the campus, the neighborhood, or their social comfort zones. Diversity is just a statistic; people have passive-aggressive attitudes towards dissenting ideologies. Overall, Oxy is academically outstanding, but can be very socially demoralizing for a minority of students.
- College Sophomore
- 8 months ago
I enjoyed my experience. I loved the location of the campus, however there was a lot of traffic around the campus making it hard to get to. I loved how it was close enough to Universal City/Hollywood, downtown Los Angeles, and basically anything possible that you would like to do. The dorms did not have air conditioning which made the rooms very hot but I loved how they had the concept of the multicultural dorm. I thought that was very unique and a great idea for students. Overall I loved the campus and the food was very good and this college is a definite consideration for me to attend. My biggest setback is the cost.
- Niche User
- 3 months ago
Professors are awesome. Small class sizes (10:1 student to faculty ratio, average class size of 19) and very accessible professors. No TA's teaching classes! Classes are discussion-based, rather than lecture halls. Workload is tough but manageable. Plenty of room for extracurricular activities. The most popular majors are Economics, Diplomacy & World Affairs, Biology, Sociology, and Art History. Professors hold office hours and students are welcome to make appointments or just show up to chat, which professors are always open to and excited about.
- College Junior
- Dec 5 2014