Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA-
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeA+
Northwestern University is ...
NCAA Division I-A
Big Ten Conference
Northwestern University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.82 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.84 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.84 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Political Science and Government157Graduates
- Drama and Theatre Production134Graduates
- Mathematics & Statistics108Graduates
- Radio, Television, and Digital Communication93Graduates
- Industrial Engineering89Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is pretty big.86 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.116 responses
After Northwestern University
- Very Good502
Northwestern University's Evanston campus was a beautiful place to live for four years. The surrounding community is pleasant but as usual it doesn't always view college kids warmly (and sometimes that's very deserved). It's not the most exciting place but the campus is connected to Chicago by the el train, which I couldn't have lived without. The lake view was priceless to have. As for academics, Northwestern has many stellar professors and offers a very well-rounded, challenging education, as well as numerous career services and opportunities for experiences and networking. It is, of course, up to the student to make use of these resources. Some dorms are much better than others, but none of the ones I lived in were terrible.
- 1 month ago
Northwestern offers a rare opportunity for an amazing academic experience without losing out on the incredibly important aspect of a four year university. It is- using a term my friends and I made up- a relaxed Ivy; while the rigor and academic institutions match the Ivy league standard, Northwestern has a more inviting atmosphere, a less rigid environment of competition. It is the perfect place for a person who wants to learn about themselves and the world in the most healthy way possible.
- 2 months ago
Northwestern is very professionally oriented, and can be sort of a bubble environment. When your there, its stressful and sometimes it's easy to forget the rest of the world and what it's like to interact with people who weren't top 5% of their class and involved in 15 school clubs. Overall though, I would choose Northwestern again, because I think it gives you the best of both worlds when choosing between top private schools and the atmosphere of a state school. The education is high quality, the location is great, the social life is decent if you make an effort, Greek life is active but different than at a state school, etc.
- College Sophomore
- 6 months ago