Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneB
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeB
Northern Michigan University is ...
NCAA Division II (with football)
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference
Data not available
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.61 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.63 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.63 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies98Graduates
- Nursing Administration85Graduates
- Physiology and Pathology52Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities44Graduates
- Social Work and Youth Services44Graduates
- Medical Technician43Graduates
- Environmental Studies42Graduates
- Business Administration and Management39Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
Data not available
- of students say Greek life is pretty low-key and has little effect on the social scene.72 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.93 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 39 responsesReport
After Northern Michigan University
- Very Good336
My experience at NMU has been amazing so far! Everyone here is so nice and ready to help you with anything and everything. The campus is small which is perfect; it's not overwhelming and it doesn't take much time to get to and from classes. The dorms are small and rather old, but living in the dorms here has given me the opportunity to make some amazing friends. NMU has a great Psychology program and I enjoy going to all of my classes this semester. Whenever I get bored of being on campus, I can easily get around and go explore all of what Marquette has to offer. Nature surrounds you, so whenever you get stressed out or depressed, it's super easy to submerge yourself in nature, which is a great way to unwind and take your mind off things. I come from Grand Rapids, MI and at first I thought the distance would be a problem, but it isn't. I'm so glad I chose NMU!
- 6 days ago
Northern Michigan is a decent college. Tuition rates are reasonable. I couldn't help but feel like the President and Dean and everyone else in charge didn't seem to care a whole lot for its students and faculty. Teachers getting laid off so the school can afford to upgrade its campus. Does that make sense? No. Selfish school, but great professors, and you can get your degree.
- 19 days ago
Decent academics, great profs, and a gorgeous setting. If you love the outdoors and can hack winter, this place can't be beat.
- Graduate Student
- 1 month ago