Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneB+
- Campus FoodD
- Student LifeC
Johnson C. Smith University is ...
Private not-for-profit, HBCU
NCAA Division II (with football)
Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association
Johnson C. Smith University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.60 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.58 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.57 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Business Administration and Management52Graduates
- Sport and Fitness Management21Graduates
- Social Work and Youth Services19Graduates
- Information Technology11Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities10Graduates
- Computer and Information Studies8Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.55 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.80 responses
After Johnson C. Smith University
- Very Good205
Johnson C. Smith University in Charlotte, North Carolina, is unique because it provides an outstanding education for a diverse group of talented and highly motivated students from various ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic backgrounds. Johnson C. Smith University offers a liberal education which allows students to enhance their learning to its fullest. Likewise, the University embraces its responsibility to provide leadership and service!
- College Sophomore
- 5 months ago
When it's hot, it's hot. The humidity can be a pain, but for the most part the weather is nice. Students are mostly outside between classes, hanging out at the coffee shop, or conversing with friends on the "block" or plaza. Some of the dorm halls have an issue with air conditioning, but there are available heaters and fans for residents that ask for them. In the classrooms and facilities around campus, they are air conditioned! They're small safe havens to get away from the heat. When it rains or if there are tornado warnings, they don't affect campus too much. Some professors will take into account that it's raining and give a little extra little wiggle room for late students, but this is not available for all professors. REPEAT: NOT AVAILABLE FOR ALL PROFESSORS. When it's cold, it's bitter. So, it would do you well to dress warmly.
- College Sophomore
- July 3 2011
I went to Johnson C Smith University for a year and I feel like if you aren't interested in things they expose to you then you are not going to enjoy yourself at all. They do have their good days, however it can be difficult when certain clubs and organizations require that you be a certain classification/ have a high GPA. Very diverse campus. Food is decent, heard they are now partnered with someone else. Financially the school seems to be a bit shady you do have to watch your money because they will bill you for nothing! Dorm life is okay.
- College Junior
- July 18 2013