YesI'm interested, let this school know MaybeBookmark for later NoShow me better matches What does it mean to express interest?
Oops! There was an error.

Reload the page and try again.

Saving your interest We will attempt to notify this school of your interest. This school has been saved to your schools listyour schools list. This school has been removed from your recommended schools list.
For more schools, visit your recommended schools list.



{{ error }}
4 College Junior

Weather: The weather is warm and beautiful about 89 percent of the year. The other 11 percent is cloudy and rainy. When it rains, it pours, in Charleston! Don't be alarmed to find flooding throughout the streets and friends wake-boarding or kayaking to class!

1 person found this useful Report
4 College Freshman

Weather: The weather is great. In the summer and spring months, it warms up and is sunny and beautiful. However, when a rain storm rolls thru, beware... the streets flood faster than you can imagine.

In the winter months, it can be brutally cold. The winds whip at really high speeds due to the layout of the city and its buildings. I would definitely recommend investing in hats, scarves, and gloves.

4 College Junior

Weather: Flooding occurs occasionally, but otherwise it is sunny all year long. Summers are warm and winters rarely get very cold. It is beautiful!

2 College Freshman

Weather: Sometimes the floods become very extreme and it makes it hard for people to get to class

3 College Junior

Weather: The weather here is really inconsistent during the winter. One day it will be sunny and nice, then the next it will be windy and cold.


{{review.SectionLabel}} at {{review.EntityName}}:

{{review.Votes}} found this useful - Did you? Was this useful? Yes Report

Sorry, there are no reviews.

  • {{settings.pageNumber}} of {{settings.maxPages}}
  • Pages:
  • ... {{page}}

Student Author OverviewWhat's this?

View student contributors

If you’re a fan of blistering cold and snowstorms, then CofC is not for you. As in the rest of the Southeast, summers are hot and humid, and winters are mild. With such a variety of students coming from all different places, reactions to the weather tend to be mixed. But one thing is for sure—get ready to sweat! Many students at the College of Charleston comes to the South because they hate Northern winters, and the general populace is at peace with the unpredictable, yet constant, change of the seasons. But the change of climate takes its toll on some students not originally from the South. They soon learn that humidity and hair do not make good friends and sinuses tend to suffer, as well. The heat is another issue altogether. Some students love to step out into sunny weather that’s at least 80 degrees, while others, typically not native to the region, feel that 10 seconds outside can melt the human body like an ice cube. There is a plus side to the Southern heat, though: all of the girls wear short skirts!

If you’re hoping for maybe a little bit of snow, the chances are slim. Records and school history show that the last time school was shut down due to weather was the mid-70s, when there was an inch of ice on the ground. But if you’re looking for sun, they’ve got plenty of that to go around. Eventually those who are new to the South will get used to the heat, but until they do, there’s no chance that the school will be shut down because of too much sun. And beach season starts in March! Take that, Jersey Shore!

Facts & Statistics

Temperature Averages
Spring - High: 73 °F
Spring - Low: 59 °F
Summer - High: 87 °F
Summer - Low: 76 °F
Fall - High: 75 °F
Fall - Low: 62 °F
Winter - High: 59 °F
Winter - Low: 44 °F
Precipitation Averages
Spring: 3.01 in./month
Summer: 5.66 in./month
Fall: 3.77 in./month
Winter: 3.01 in./month
What to Pack
  • Flip-flops
  • Rain boots
  • Rain coat
  • Shorts
  • Swimsuit
  • Umbrella
Did You Know?
  • In 1989, Hurricane Hugo caused over $1 billion of damage to the city of Charleston.
  • On February 12, 2010, Charleston saw snow on the peninsula for the first time in 25 years!


pageviews remaining

Non-registered users are limited to 5 school profile page views per month.

Register for free to gain full access!