Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA-
- Campus FoodB+
- Student LifeA
Appalachian State University is ...
NCAA Division I-A
Sun Belt Conference
Appalachian State University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.127 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.123 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.123 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science190Graduates
- Business Administration and Management176Graduates
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies160Graduates
- Elementary Education156Graduates
- Social Work and Youth Services111Graduates
- Political Science and Government105Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 91 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
Data not available
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.179 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.207 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 94 responsesReport
After Appalachian State University
- Very Good845
I am a freshman at App State and I love it! The curriculum is not too easy but not too hard. The people there are great and everyone is very helpful and cares about you. I am an African American student and I still love it.
- 2 days ago
Great school. There's so much to do and the atmosphere is one of unity and pride.Everyone is so nice, and the faculty and staff are incredibly helpful. I'd like to see more food options on campus, and more opportunities for off campus students. I'm proud to be a mountaineer and I love my school.
- 5 days ago
If you are a non-traditional student it is a very difficult school to navigate. I was in the Psychology department and became just a face in very large classes. Appalachian also milks your money by making up all kinds of excuses not to accept many transfer credits. If you are in high school, want to live in the mountains and don't mind bitter cold winters, then the school is great. If you like the party scene, the school is great too. But if you are a transfer student, I would look elsewhere.
- 12 days ago