Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA-
- Campus FoodB+
- Student LifeA
Appalachian State University is ...
NCAA Division I-A
Sun Belt Conference
Appalachian State University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.127 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.123 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.123 responses
Most Popular Majors
- Kinesiology and Exercise Science190Graduates
- Business Administration and Management176Graduates
- Criminal Justice and Safety Studies160Graduates
- Elementary Education156Graduates
- Social Work and Youth Services111Graduates
- Political Science and Government105Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
What one word or phrase best describes the typical student at this school?
Based on 91 responsesReport
Freshmen Live On-Campus
Data not available
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.179 responses
- of students say varsity sports are a big part of campus life.207 responses
What one word or phrase best describes your school?
Based on 94 responsesReport
After Appalachian State University
- Very Good846
Most class sizes are under 30 people, which is amazing for a university of 20,000 students. Most professors are really personable; I've had dinner at some of my professor's homes! All professors are experts in their fields, too. My oceanology professor takes yearly research trips to Antarctica to do groundbreaking research. I've had a couple of lecture classes, but many of my classes have been discussion-based. There are so many options to take, too; fulfilling gen ed requirements is actually pretty fun, because there are a lot of different classes to choose from.
- College Junior
- 9 months ago
Appstate is one of the best colleges in North Carolina. We have an awesome football team, incredible students, very passionate teachers, wonderful Greek life, which I get to be a part of and give back to my community, and most importantly, the education that you recive while you are at appstate is top notch and worth the work. What makes my school so unique is that in everything that we do sustainable development is at the root of it all. I've learned all about SD and how I can make our world a better place with its principles. I've made great friends through Greek life and good connections with my teachers that I know will be valuable resources to me in the future. Over all my experience so far at App State has been awesome!
- College Sophomore
- 4 months ago
At Appalachian State our football team is definitely the biggest sports involvement we have on our campus. Our team has recently moved to a new conference, and has done really well this past fall. The school spirit for this team is incredible, and the wonderful stadium is always packed with Mountaineer fans on gameday! I would say that basketball is highly underrated, as the games are always very empty, which shouldn't be the case, because our team has been decent in the past. For some reason basketball just isn't a popular sport to watch at App.
- College Senior
- 5 months ago