Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeA-
American University is ...
Private not-for-profit, Methodist
NCAA Division I-AAA
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.85 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.87 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.87 responses
Most Popular Majors
- International Relations and National Security Studies435Graduates
- Business Administration and Management228Graduates
- Political Science and Government193Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities67Graduates
- Public Health55Graduates
- Film and Video Studies51Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.134 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.167 responses
After American University
- Very Good795
There are a lot of issues that the faculty do not like to address in the manner that it needs to be addressed. My professors seem to be full of knowledge and are open to new ideas.
- 1 day ago
American University is a fantastic school for those interested in politics, whether domestic or local. The academics are quite challenging, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. AU is not a huge party school, nor is the student engagement in Greek life or athletics particularly high, which is great for people of a more reserved nature. Though there are also plenty of opportunities for those interested in Greek life or partying as well. It's location is amazing, as it is in DC, and is close to a metro stop. The school bureaucracy can be a bit much at times. While the school isn't perfect, no school is. I am very happy with my choice of attending American University, and the opportunities it has given me, such as valuable internships, dozens of options for studying abroad, and contact with prominent officials.
- 5 days ago
It's a good school, but some stuff about it I definitely don't like.
- College Sophomore
- 8 days ago