Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA-
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeA-
American University is ...
Private not-for-profit, Methodist
NCAA Division I-AAA
American University Rankings
Niche rankings are based on rigorous analysis of key statistics from the U.S. Department of Education and millions of reviews.
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.126 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.128 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.128 responses
Most Popular Majors
- International Relations and National Security Studies435Graduates
- Business Administration and Management228Graduates
- Political Science and Government193Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities67Graduates
- Public Health55Graduates
- Film and Video Studies51Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.167 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.204 responses
After American University
- Very Good795
As a freshman at Au thus far I have hated my experience. There is a lack of school pride and the pressure to be successful causes anxiety for many students. Since the opportunities in a city like D.C. are unlimited, I suggest you take advantage of them at another school in the area. Tuition is extremely pricey due to the fact that it is a private school, but the environment and campus for which you are pay for is not worth it. The professors are sub-par and there is little to do on campus.
- 19 days ago
Professors are amazing, all of them provide you with great opportunities to learn and develop as a student. They also have great connections to policy makers and think tanks in the city. Beyond that, everything here is completely awful. The kids are ALL socialist level liberals. Nobody here has any school spirit. The morale of the campus is constantly low, as everyone always seems depressed. If you aren't in Greek life, their is no night life. The facilities are nice, except when the school shoves you in randomly small classrooms that can't fit all your classmates. The General Education requirements are tolerable but boring. The dorms vary from being gorgeous to totally trashy. The price is the school is insanely high, and paying that much seems insane when you can go to George Washington University downtown, or Georgetown. Everyone here secretly wishes they were there. I don't recommend AU for anyone who wants a positive social college experience.
- 19 days ago
There are a lot of issues that the faculty do not like to address in the manner that it needs to be addressed. My professors seem to be full of knowledge and are open to new ideas.
- 25 days ago