Overall Niche Grade
- Party SceneA
- Campus FoodB
- Student LifeA-
American University is ...
Private not-for-profit, Methodist
NCAA Division I-AAA
High School GPA
Based on faculty accomplishments, salary, student reviews, and additional factors.
Student Faculty Ratio
Evening Degree Programs
- of students agree that professors put a lot of effort into teaching their classes.85 responses
- of students agree that it is easy to get the classes they want.87 responses
- of students agree that the workload is easy to manage.87 responses
Most Popular Majors
- International Relations and National Security Studies435Graduates
- Business Administration and Management228Graduates
- Political Science and Government193Graduates
- Liberal Arts and Humanities67Graduates
- Public Health55Graduates
- Film and Video Studies51Graduates
Undergrads Over 25
Freshmen Live On-Campus
- of students say that Greek life is average, and no one will treat you differently if you don't join.134 responses
- of students say varsity sporting events are attended, but not a huge part of campus life.167 responses
After American University
- Very Good783
American University is a fantastic school for those interested in politics, whether domestic or local. The academics are quite challenging, and the campus is absolutely beautiful. AU is not a huge party school, nor is the student engagement in Greek life or athletics particularly high, which is great for people of a more reserved nature. Though there are also plenty of opportunities for those interested in Greek life or partying as well. It's location is amazing, as it is in DC, and is close to a metro stop. The school bureaucracy can be a bit much at times. While the school isn't perfect, no school is. I am very happy with my choice of attending American University, and the opportunities it has given me, such as valuable internships, dozens of options for studying abroad, and contact with prominent officials.
- 2 days ago
The professors are absolutely incredible. They are so passionate about their studies, and that passion and love for education translates onto the students. They give each student special attention, and help with any questions or problems they may have. The only negative comment I have are the social scenes. At times, at American University I find myself surrounded by students who do not care for their studies and do not take advantage of the resources offered.
- 16 days ago
I love the professors who are always eager to teach and talk about things that is related or not related to the class: they are very approachable for conversations and questions. My favorite experience that I had was in my musicianship class. It was the final exam and I had to sight sing music pieces and after I sang all the pieces, my professor grabbed my hands and we both jumped up and down saying that she was proud of me for doing everything right. I was super nervous during the exam but my professor wiped it away as we both celebrated by jumping.
- College Sophomore
- 2 months ago