Facts & Statistics
Other Career Services
- Federal work-study board
- Internship files and applications
- Job board
Best Student Jobs On Campus
- ASI (Associated Students, Inc.)
- Campus dining
- Department office assistants
Worst Student Jobs On Campus
Best Places to Work Off Campus
Shops in downtown SLO
Advice on Finding a Job/Internship
- Looking for a major-specific job? If you're in a technical major, there are many opportunities to do computer work, landscape design, or agricultural work. If you're a member of the liberal arts college, however, you may be stuck with clerical positions at local offices. Don't doubt yourself. Most students think they will never get accepted for the jobs they really want, but most employers are just looking for someone who is steady, hardworking, and willing to learn. Go ahead and apply for the jobs you don't think you're qualified for. You'd be surprised how far just being in college will get you.
- Finding a job in SLO is relatively easy, especially during the school year. The career center has a job wall where ads are constantly being updated. Students can find jobs babysitting, gardening, house cleaning, and at local restaurants, supermarkets, or hotels. There are also many opportunities for federal work-study programs on campus, although jobs on campus are limited to 20 hours per week. You have to apply for these programs and be accepted on the basis of financial need.
- Internships are easy to find for those working toward technical degrees, but a little more difficult for the "soft" majors. There are plenty of technical internships in the area, but otherwise, you might have to start doing a state-wide search, or even country-wide, if you want something specific. However, staff members at the career center are helpful and will aid you in your search.
- When it comes to internships, ask around. Go to your department or to local businesses and ask if they offer programs.
Firms That Most Frequently Hire Grads
- Foster Farms
- J. Lohr Vineyards and Wines
- JBS Five Rivers Cattle Feeding
- Leprino Foods
- Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center
- Space Systems/Loral
- Triage Consulting Group
- U.S. Forest Service
- Valley Crest Landscaping
Grads Entering Job Market
Within one year: 68%